Thursday, May 3, 2012


Introducing...Our Resident "Grub Guru", Kristen Kemp
Words and Photo by Kristen Kemp
I've been asked to start submitting some of the recipes I cook for our blog.  I've got some old favorites lined up for the start and hope to find some new loves I can photograph and post along the way.  I may even post some of my epic failures if they're particularly hysterical.  I'm not qualified to dispense nutrition information so I'll be including links to the recipes, as I find most of the ones I use online, and will include any modifications I made and why.  I make a lot of modifications, mostly due to food allergies, others just personal preference.  So you'll have the original and my changes! 



My first will be Fragrant Red Lentils with Rice from MyRecipes.com.  I've made this three times now.  The first time I added cubed, extra-firm tofu, added along with the water and lentils.  The second and third I did the same with no salt added canned garbanzo beans.  I kept this a veggie meal but you could also add previously cooked chicken, or anything else that strikes your fancy.  I also omitted the salt called for in the recipe.  The leftover fresh ginger is now living happily in my freezer until I need it again.  One of the ingredients listed is garam masala.  I'm always nervous about using new spice blends that may not list all of the ingredients so I decided to hunt one down that looked good and make that as well.  I'll also include that link, and note that it's from AllRecipes.com.  I omitted the nutmeg, but the other ingredients were kept as is. If you decide to include the yogurt topping, I'd suggest a really good, thick Greek brand.  I love this served with the suggested brown basmati rice and either green beans or broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment