Friday, May 11, 2012

Another healthy recipe ... A seasonal take on traditional comfort food. Yum!

So this week's recipe is another old favorite, Mary Ann Esposito's Polpettone di Carne or Italian meatloaf.  Now, you may not think of meatloaf as being a typical Spring/Summer meal but in my slightly altered version it makes for wonderful eating this time of year!  A link to the original is included!

 

When I make this recipe I use two pounds of ground white meat turkey breast.  Also, instead of the white potatoes the original recipe calls for I roast and add two garnet yams.  I don't have a ricer so I just peel them, put them in my mixing bowl and mush them with a pastry cutter.  I add one cup of parmesan, leave out the asiago, and, as this is a very wet mixture, add a cup of regular whole oats. (not quick cooking!)  You can also add some onion or leek if you're in the mood.
 
For the filling, instead of prosciutto di Parma or boiled ham I saute kale (you'll need a lot as it wilts down quite a bit as it cooks), leek, garlic, and whatever else looks good in the way of herbs/spices that day, with a little bit of white wine added towards the end of the cook time. 
 
When you're ready to roll out the meat mixture, cut a piece of wax paper to just over the size called for in the recipe.  Trust me, you'll be happy you took this step.  Using your hands (come on, just dive in) flatten the meat into a rectangle, short end facing you, spread kale mixture leaving a small gap around the edge, sprinkle with a bit more parmesan, and then get ready to roll!  Using the wax paper at the short end, pick up and roll, peel back the wax paper, roll again, peel, roll, peel, roll, until it's all rolled up.  Give the edge a good seal, mush the ends a little bit to seal, and pop into a baking dish with a bit of olive oil in the bottom.  The included pic shows mine ready to go in the oven.  When you're ready for the step of adding the wine and chicken broth (I use all wine and usually add a bit more than the recipe calls for so I have a bit of sauce) part way through the baking time, also add a couple packages of grape or cherry tomatoes around the edges.  Slice and serve when done, top with the sauce.  This makes a ton of meatloaf and it freezes beautifully!  Enjoy

Courtesy of Kristen Kemp

No comments:

Post a Comment