Thursday, October 8, 2009

Walking the Classic by Phyllis Gilbert

Last weekend I had a wonderful time participating in "The Women's Classic," a running/walking event mostly for women for the benefit of the Providence Ronald McDonald House. I don't generally participate in events like this, preferring to walk locally solo or with a friend or two and my running days are long over. This meet was special, though. As a volunteer for the Providence Ronald McDonald House, I usually participate in their annual walk which is a great family festival, but I volunteer there as well so that is very different.

The Women's walk gathered women, their friends and pieces of families in a wonderful variety of ages and fitness standards. Many women were seriously competitive but the sense of fun never got lost. I particularly enjoyed seeing mothers and daughters of all ages registering and yet the young runners' club groups were an inspiration as well. The event was beautifully organized. Never did I see confusion about where to go or what to do. Questions were asked and answered and there were plenty of nice people to help. As a walker in the 5K, my walking friend and I had to hurry down the street to catch the group, as we had dawdled getting started. We passed the back of the crowd eventually and managed to come in a few places from last when all was over and clocked. Unfortunately, there was no booby prize. Obviously we weren't among the competitive participants, but it was a great walk with lots of nice women on a lovely fall day.

It was inspiring, during the awarding of prizes to realize that women of all ages put in serious effort and competed together in what for me was an affirmation of the possibility of remaining active and energetic from childhood into old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment