Tuesday, July 3, 2012


Kemp's Turkey Burger Helper!!!

Yes all, I said it!  Tonight was going to be plain ole' turkey burger night.  I've never been very good at them, but was in the mood, so decided to go for it.  As I started to get out the usual ho hum ingredients, knowing I couldn't do my usual pan deglaze with white wine, the light bulb went on.  I pulled together the list below, and miracles happened!  I don't have all the measurements, but you can wing it...no pun intended ;).
.75 lb ground white meat turkey
1 shallot
1 medium carrot
1/2 small roasted sweet potato
short grain brown rice (leftover from what was used to make rice milk)
whole rolled oats (not quick cooking oats!)
fresh sage
fresh ground black pepper
dried thyme


Put the oats, sage, black pepper, and thyme in a bowl that will fit all of the other ingredients and set aside.  Put the shallot, carrot, sweet potato, and rice into a food processor and pulse until the carrot is in small pieces and all is well chopped and combined.  Add to the oat mixture, add the turkey, get your hands in there and mush!!  Combine well but don't over mix which can make the burgers tough.  I cooked mine in a regular pan on the stove with some olive oil but these will also work in a grill pan, on an outdoor grill, or baked in the oven.   As you can see in my pic, I topped mine with avocado.  I can't have cheese, but that could be a topper or mixed in, depending on your taste.  You can use almost any vegetable. Next time I think I'm going to add some kale to the food processor portion.  Any color pepper would be wonderful, garlic, onion, and the herb/spice combinations are infinite!  As I always say, have fun with these!  Make them your own!  A moment of inspiration tonight resulted in me finally making absolutely delicious and yes, ridiculously healthy, turkey burgers!


Thank you to Kristen Kemp for this original recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment