Monday, June 4, 2012

Try this fun breakfast treat!

I had been desperately, and unsuccessfully, trying to find some kind of baked good I could have that had no gluten and no added sweetener that would still taste good.  This recipe from http://www.straightupfood.com/ is the first I've found that works the way it's supposed to!  So far I've only made the original recipe as muffins, not donuts, and with a couple deletions (no nuts and no nutmeg). I used plain unsweetened rice milk, put some roasted pumpkin seeds on a couple as a test just before popping them in the oven, and my sister, bro-in-law and I came up with a few variations while we were taste testing them!  We thought they would be good with plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) or unsweetened applesauce instead of banana.  With the pumpkin, or even with the banana, chocolate chips (or vitamins as they were once called in certain parts of my family as they were cooked into pancakes) would be just fabulous!   Fresh or dried cranberries with the pumpkin would be yummy too!  With the banana some blueberries could come into play.  I would put them in place of the raisins in the third grouping of ingredients in the donut recipe.   I have not tried the frosting, we like carrot cake better plain, and I wasn't sure how to sub the cashews.  We also talked about adding some whole oats and decided it would work but because the muffins are so moist you wouldn't want to add too many or you would be risking drying out the batter.  There are also some variations at the end of the recipe.

Once again, have fun with these!  I find them incredibly delicious and yes, ridiculously healthy!!

Courtesy of Kristen Kemp


No comments:

Post a Comment